Hustling from breakfast in the East Village – I finally had a chance to stop by Whiskers Holistic Pet Store. I originally learned about it through a New York Times article and it’s been on my short list of places to check out. After a very impromptu walk in, I found myself plopped on a stool in a cozy corner of the store with one of their sales representatives, Joe. Being in the pet food business for over a decade, Joe didn’t hesitate to give me a crash course in pet nutrition. Here are some of the things I remembered from my chat with Joe.
- Just like people eat yogurt with pro-biotics because it’s good for our digestive tracks – pets should too. Probiotics help pets digest their food better.
- Supplementing your pets diet with fish that has omega oils is good for their joints.
- If you can, feed you pet raw foods. But if you don’t have the lifestyle where you can prepare raw foods every meal, that’s okay. There are easy recipes or pre- cooked frozen pet foods that can be good alternatives.
- Pet allergies and kidney disease is on the rise, in large part because of what we we’re feeding our pets.
- As much as Whiskers is a great place to learn about how to keep your pet healthy, it’s not a pharmacy. They provide recommendations on how to better care for you pet, but not medically treat your pet.
- Dogs naturally ‘binge and fast’. Which is why it’s not good to leave dog food laying out all day. The only thing a dog needs at all times is clean water.
- It’s important to not over feed your pets. Routinely feed them 3 small meals a day. That’s about it. You don’t want your dog to be another victim of pet obseity. It’s a rising trend in America.
I totally get that it’s part of Joe’s job to promote products from the store, but I personally didn’t feel pressured to buy, I felt like his goal was to simply teach me things I didn’t know about pet nutrition. Joe answered all my questions and gave me some print outs of other resources worth checking out. With so much experience in the industry, Joe made me a believer in feeding pets good food, even if it costs a little extra. The benefits of a healthy pet diet can be realized with fewer vet visits, and of course – a long happy life with you and your pet!
Whiskers has two New York locations. One in Manhattan, the other in Astoria Queens.
Manhattan: 235 East 9th Street, New York, NY 10003-7536 (212) 979-2532
Queens: 19-31 Ditmars Blvd, Queens, NY 11105, (718) 956-6706
Other Holistic Pet Care sites